Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Pastor Patrick Joshua Twagirayesu

This is a picture of Pastor Patrick and two of his biggest fans. He has been in Boise for the last two weeks and has won the hearts of my two boys. He taught them to say, "Hallelujah!" and "Jesus is Lord!" while jumping and putting their hands in the air (okay, the jumping part Kedrick and Victor added as they are incapable of showing enthusiasm without jumping). The kids have fun shouting these phrases wherever we go, whether riding in the car or running through Walmart.

Patrick pastors a church in Rwanda and is also head of Africa Harvest Mission International (AHMI), an organization that raises funds to help educate the hopeless children in Rwanda. They also assist impoverished families in a variety of ways. Patrick is visiting the U.S. to meet with those who are already sponsoring children and to find new covenant partners. If you are interested in learning more about how you can help, let me know. You can sponsor a child for just $25 a month. Or there are many other ways you can help, particularly through prayer.

Rarely a day goes by that I'm not struck by the injustice of my own extravagant lifestyle when there are so many people who find difficulty in meeting their most basic needs. I'm always excited for the opportunity to help in any way I can, especially when I know the help I provide takes care of not only their physical needs, but their emotional and spiritual needs as well.

I often wonder what would happen if some horrible disaster happened here (in Rwanda it was mass genocide) and many of us died, leaving our children orphans, without hope and without a future. Who would stand up and help them? Who would sacrifice their daily comforts to take care of my kids? I don't want to be the person who turns a blind eye, only concerned about my own family, when it would be so easy, with a little sacrifice, to help some of these children.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' --Matt 25:34-40 (NIV)

Current prayer requests:
  • A fruitful and safe visit to the U.S. for Pastor Patrick.
  • Pastor Patrick’s wife Gertrude and their children who are left at home in Rwanda.
  • The Gospel message to reach the people of Rwanda and that their hearts will be cultivated by the Holy Spirit to receive this message and turn to God and be saved.
  • The suffering Children in Rwanda, especially the orphans to have their spiritual, emotional and physical needs met each day.
  • The single mothers and other guardians who are struggling to survive and care for their children.
  • Resources to train the people of Rwanda who do not have a profession so that they learn how to support their families.
  • The building of a new school for the sponsored children.
  • Additional Child Sponsors and AHMI supporters.
  • Wisdom and direction for AHMI U.S. as well as for all the projects that we are endeavoring to accomplish and for more team members to join our team.
  • How you can help Rwanda through Africa Harvest Mission International.
  • Thank God for His blessings and His mercy.
Thank you friends! Today is a good day to serve the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment