On most Wednesdays, I volunteer in Kedrick's 1st-grade class. I love it! I do a variety of things. My favorite is reading with the kids. I read individually with those who struggle with reading. I also read with the advanced readers. Kedrick is in that group and we read through "chapter books."
Each day, the students have "Writer's Workshop." They write briefly on some topic, conference with the teacher, then get up in front of the class and read what they wrote. Wednesdays are conveniently Kedrick's day to read in front of the class, so I get to listen. His face beams with pride whenever I am there. After he reads his writing to the class, the students raise their hands and ask questions.
It has been a struggle for him to put his thoughts together in an organized fashion. His extremely creative mind goes in every possible direction.
He has written about all types of things. He once told his class about Jesse (our dog). Another time he gave a detailed description (with a hand-drawn picture) of the gigantic fish-tank he found in his Grandma's shed and how he was going to fill it with fish that looked like Nemo (not a chance!).
Once he wrote about what he would buy if he had $100: a doll and a dollhouse. I thought for sure he would get beat up for that, but he didn't. He has been teased about his lunch box (he was told it looked like a purse), but apparently it is okay among his peers to want a doll. The girls asked what kind of doll he wanted. He had no clue.
Below is what he shared with his class today:
Jesus Dies
Jesus died on the cross for our sins.
Because we sin.
He is gone.
Where is Jesus?
He is alive!
(Ok, his spelling wasn't that good. But for his age he really is a great speller.)
Jesus diys
Jesus diyed on the cosse for our sins.
Becases we sin.
He is gone.
Where's is Jesus?
He is Aliva.
His paper was cut and folded to look like the tomb.
A wonderful discussion followed as other students anxiously shared what they knew about Jesus.
Kedrick also invited all his school friends to church for Easter.
I've loved volunteering in Nathan's class too. What a wonderful writing he did today - and way to start some discussion about it in class!
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing that sweet boy is to all around him!!!! Good job mommy and daddy!!!!
ReplyDelete